Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Nature vs. Nurture

When I'm feeling really Big and Generous I know that this is something R has to do. I don't personally get it on a gut level, but I can see that being born into the wrong body has caused angst his whole life. And now? He gets to deal with it. It's pretty amazing, actually. What a gift, right? And frankly, it makes a lot of sense. He's always been a he. Just in a girl's body. It's really making me rethink the whole nature/nurture thing. Things that I thought were socialized into guys seem to be implanted in the brain. I honestly think there's a biological basis for this condition. It's like somewhere along the line, wires got crossed. The brain was male, the body, female. I didn't think that before, but now I do. If you meet transgendered people, they always say the same thing -- that they were born knowing they were in the wrong body. Maybe one day scientists will figure it out. And before I get hate mail (or hate male) I'm not trying to cure anything -- just understand it. When I'm not feeling Big and Generous? Well, I just wish I could live in that part of myself all the time. But I don't.

Photo by http://www.flickr.com/photos/aigle_dore/ vi Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment